Wrinkles are a natural part of ageing. But the right wrinkle cream can help you maintain a youthful appearance.
There has been a lot of research done on the effectiveness of anti-wrinkle creams. Studies show that they may have a positive effect on skin elasticity and skin hydration. Wrinkles may not disappear completely, but the appearance of wrinkles can be lessened with these creams.
How to Choose the Best Anti-Wrinkle Cream for You
There are many different types of anti-wrinkle creams on the market, so it’s important to find one that suits your skin type and needs. Reading the ingredients carefully is essential and ensuring they are appropriate for your skin type. 3 groups of ingredients improve the appearance of wrinkles.
- Exfoliants and Retinoids- Exfoliants especially chemical exfoliants improve the appearance of skin by sloughing off dead skin cells to reveal plumper, youthful skin. Retinoids increase cell turnover rates which tend to slow down with age.
- Hydrating and Moisturizing Ingredients- A symptom of ageing is increased Trans Epidermal Water Loss. Thus, it is optimal to include ingredients that replenish and restore the skin. These are ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, ceramides, peptides and occlusives.
- Sun Protection and Antioxidants- An integral part of maintaining healthy mature skin is protecting against sun damage which degraded the appearance of skin and free radical damage. Daily use of SPF and an antioxidant (Vitamin C&E) will help protect against further deterioration.
Tips For Using Wrinkle Creams
- It is important to read the ingredient list to ensure that the formula will deliver benefits.
- Curating a gentle routine ensures you do not impair your moisture barrier which worsens the appearance of the skin.
- Be wary of products with lofty claims. Wrinkle creams can rarely get rid of all signs of ageing from your skin.
- Skin care products which aren’t labelled anti-ageing can still be helpful if they contain the right ingredients.
Following the above guide is sure to help with the appearance of your wrinkles
Wrinkles are caused by a loss or reduction of certain biological processes as the body slows down with age. Thus, if you would like to see drastic improvements in your skin, you may need to consider consulting a medical aesthetician for other options.