There's nothing more horrifying than waking up to a huge pimple on a day you want to look your best. Your mind is racing with how to minimize its appearance and the go-to is usually to pop it. You might not want to do that yet. Popping a pimple before it’s ready to be popped could lead to worse skin problems
Knowing how to pop a pimple safely is important to reduce the risk of infection and scarring. Let’s get into how to pop a pimple safely.
Should I Pop My Pimple?
Popping a pimple is one of the most common skincare practices. However, it is often discouraged by dermatologists and aestheticians. This is because when done incorrectly, popping a pimple can be dangerous. If done incorrectly, it can cause permanent skin damage and even lead to infection. To minimize the risk of skin damage and infection, it is important to know the proper steps to pop a zit.
4 Essential Supplies You Need Before Popping A Pimple
Popping a pimple can be a daunting task, but with the right supplies and aftercare, you can do it safely and effectively.
A comedone extractor- This is a tool readily available online or at beauty supply stores
A gentle cleanser
Cotton balls or a paper towel
How Do I Know My Pimple Is Ready To Be Popped?
Popping a pimple before it’s ready can lead to terrible scarring. How do you know a pimple is ready to be popped? Usually, once a pimple has a white raised bump on it and it feels inflamed, this means it’s ready to be popped. The white substance is pus trapped under the skin as this could indicate that it is ready for extraction. Finally, if the pimple feels soft when pressed lightly with your fingertips, then it may also be ready to pop.
How To Safely Pop A Pimple
- Start with cleansed skin and clean hands. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser. Refrain from scrubbing or using harsh soaps.
- Sterilize your extractor with hot water or an alcohol solution.
- Place your extractor over the pimple, apply gentle pressure and move the extractor over the pimple. If the pus doesn't come out, it may mean your pimple isn’t ready to be popped. You may need to wait a day or two.
- Once the pus is out, place the cotton ball or paper towel on it to absorb the substance. Take care not to swipe to prevent infecting the area with bacteria
- Cleanse the area with a gentle cleanser and follow with an acne serum like our Clear Fight Serum which contains Salicylic acid and Manuka Honey to prevent future breakouts and calm inflammation
What To Do If My Pimple Isn’t Ready To Be Popped?
You have to wait. That doesn't mean there's nothing to do. Managing breakouts is best done with a consistent routine to unclog pores and reduce inflammation. Using a Salicylic acid treatment like our Clear Fight Serum is best.
You may also conceal the appearance of the pimple by applying concealer on it just before you put on some foundation.